Golden Isles Fiberarts Guild Minutes Nov 4, 2019
Called to order at 3:05 pm by Nancy Harper
The Minutes from October 2019 were approved as distributed.
Welcome to guests and new members: Judy Pierce quilting with embroidery, Margaret Pearson – quilting, Janice Ronson – quilting and sewing, AnnaMarie Granros
• Secretary – nothing to report
• Treasurer – Opening Balance on 10/1/19 is 2418.33. Deposits: 381.00 dues; Checks written: 0.00; Closing Balance on 10/31/19: 2799.33
• Membership – Forms & payments should be given to Elaine Boothman. Nancy Hailey renewed from Arizona and enjoys the newsletter.
• Hospitality – Christmas gathering is at Janie’s house on Mon, Dec 2 at 1:00. Pot-luck food, handmade gift exchange for those who want to participate.
• Publicity – Louise has submitted article to the paper. Next to feature our Opulent Ornament workshop Nov 16.
o Garments – Knits are next project, style show at Nov meeting
o Surface Design – Rust dyed fabric, Linda Mahoney wore a shirt using that technique, next is paint stick technique
o Embroidery – pieced project using various techniques
o Felting – felted flowers is next project. Marion shared information on a felting tour in Hungary in April 2020.
o Beading – working on individual projects
o Weaving – individual projects using the inkle loom
o Rug Hooking – individual projects, meet every Thursday
o Knitting & Crochet – free form pieces will be shared at the April Guild meeting, next up is a Shibori piece based on a piece of art. There is an opportunity to make hats for local HeadStart children (ages 3-5). You can drop them off at the Stitchery.
o Quilting – meets every Thursday at Frederica Presbyterian. Project beginning in January is a “stack & whack” technique that produces a medallion effect.
• Directory is being finalized for distribution in November. Nancy Harper thanked Wanda for her great work with the directory and the newsletter.
• Nancy Harper offered dolls and needlework from her 98 yr old mother’s collection
Show & Tell:
Julia Cieszeski – needle felted pieces; Marion Kennedy – ruffled scarf, woven purse using cardboard loom technique from Gina Cupstid; Janie Pritchard – needlework purse, embroidered towels, 3 quilts for kids (charity that gives quilts to kids in hospitals and foster care; Lainie Addessi – Yin Yang paper art with English papers and crystal embellishment
Members of the Garment Girlz presented their creations from the past year’
Janie Pritchard – red silk dress with lace overlay; Tonja Bradley – sleeveless top & capri pants, poncho, cover-up, pullover lined dress and princess dress; Mary Langlais – black dress, blue & white top, red top; Nancy Harper - embroidered dress, Liberty of London print dress, Leola Holton – princess style dress and bolero; Beverly Jones – two-color embroidered dress; Jeanne Cieszeski – striped denim dress, brown/black ponte jacket
Meeting ended 3:50 pm.
Next meeting is the Christmas party
Monday, December 2, 2019